Taking sensible and smart steps before putting your items into storage may sound like it’s a chore, but before your store, there are many ‘storage laws’ to prepare different items for storage to keep them protected and in the same condition as when you left them. Here are our pieces of advice for storing sensitive items properly and smartly.
LAWS FOR PAPER ITEMS
• All financial records, tax receipts, bank statements and invoices should be stored together and categorised in separate sleeves.
• Any books, magazines become VERY heavy quickly, use smaller stronger boxes especially for these
LAWS FOR FURNITURE
• Avoid placing furniture directly on the floor. Use plastic sheeting or furniture coasters under the legs.
• Stack upright chairs such as dining chairs seat to seat with one upright and one inverted. Use fabric, cloth or another cover between them.
• Cover sofas, armchairs and other upholstered items – including mattresses.
• Anything that could absorb moisture and humidity (including cushions) we suggest covering.
LAWS FOR FRAGILE ITEMS
• Mark all boxes with fragile items as FRAGILE.
• Use bubble wrap and polystyrene storage foam to fill spaces between breakables
• Don’t stack heavy items on top of breakable items.
• Keep breakable items at ground level wherever possible.
• Always wrap pictures, mirrors in bubble wrap and store flat not standing up.
LAWS FOR STORING ELECTRONICS
• Use original packaging as long as possible.
• Remove any batteries from electronics, including remote controls
• Make sure fridges have been completely wiped down and dry to avoid the growth of mould or mildew.
• Any metal items
LAWS FOR CLOTHES AND LINEN
• Use moth balls to stop fabric eating pests.
• Make sure all fabrics are cleaned and completely dry before storing
Without sounding too much like a school teacher, or a police officer, these rules are there to protect you and prized belongings. Too many times incorrect storage leaves people upset with broken or items that have become deteriorated. Let the above laws of storage be your guide. If you have any more questions on how best to store difficult items in storage units, please call us for advice. We’ve stored all sorts of things over the years and we know what works – and just as importantly – what doesn’t.
For storage as quick and easy as 1,2,3, ABC Self Storage have all your self storage needs covered. Contact us on (07) 5598 3355